Thank you for your interest in exploring Levey Day School and the educational program it offers for your child. Here is a brief outline of our application and admissions process:
1. We ask parents to call the school office and arrange a time when they can come and visit. We encourage parents to come during the first part of our day so they can be present for Tefilot (Morning Prayers) and the first class. This visit also provides an opportunity for parents to meet separately with Levey staff, faculty and director, to ask any questions they may have.
2. Make arrangements to have your child come visit. For younger children (pre-K through 2), we ask that they arrive in time to begin the morning’s activities (8AM) with our students. They should plan on staying till 10:30. During this time our secular teacher will do a brief assessment of your child. If a child enters Levey as a first grader, we will work with the child and the family to catch them up on any Hebrew and Judaic information they may need. If a child enters Levey as a second grader, we work with the family to help the child catch up in Hebrew and Judaic studies. We encourage the family to have a tutor work with the child.
3. For children in grades 3 through 5, we invite them to spend the entire day at Levey (8-3:15). During that time, teachers will have the opportunity to do some one-on-one assessments. If the child is not transferring from another Jewish day school, it is anticipated that should the child enter Levey, tutoring will be necessary in Hebrew and Judaic subject areas.
4. Following the visit, we ask parents to complete a parent information form and to sign release forms enabling us to access prior school records.
5. Once we have had an opportunity to review this information along with the results of our assessments, we will contact the family to advise them of whether their child has been admitted to the school.
6. At this point, we ask the family to complete a registration form and to pay our deposit fee which reserves the child’s place at Levey.
7. If the family is interested in receiving financial aid, they need to complete a Parents’ Financial Statement, available at Levey, which they mail directly to NAIS (the National Association of Independent Schools). This application may also be completed on line. Once NAIS advises Levey of the amount recommended for financial aid, Levey’s scholarship committee will meet to make a final decision on the amount of aid. More detailed information is provided in our Financial Aid Policy and Application Information which can be reviewed on line. Hard copies are available at the Levey office.
We look forward to meeting you and providing you with additional information about Levey Day School. Please call the school at (207) 774-7676 with any questions you might have.